Re: meson documentation build open issues

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: meson documentation build open issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-11-14 16:22:31 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > v2-0004-meson-Add-world-target.patch
> >
> > AFAICT, this world target doesn't include the man target.  (Again, this
> > would all work better if we added "man" to "docs".)
>
> I agree with that sentiment - I only moved to the current arrangement after
> Tom argued forcefully against building both.

Another message in this thread made me realize that I actually hadn't
implemented it at all - it was Tom in 969509c3f2e

    In HEAD, also document how to build docs using Meson, and adjust
    "ninja docs" to just build the HTML docs, for consistency with the
    default behavior of doc/src/sgml/Makefile.

I think that change was just ill-advised, given that the top-level make target
actually *does* build both html and man:

> The situation in the make world is weird:
> "make docs" in the toplevel builds both, because it's defined as
>
> docs:
>     $(MAKE) -C doc all

Notwithstanding this:

> Buf if you "make -C doc/src/sgml" (or are in doc/src/sgml), we only build
> html, as the default target is explicitly just html:

As the obvious thing for people that really just want to build html with ninja
would be to just use the doc-html (to-be-renamed to "html") target.

Greetings,

Andres Freund