Re: Some performance degradation in REL_16 vs REL_15

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Some performance degradation in REL_16 vs REL_15
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-10-30 15:28:53 +0300, Anton A. Melnikov wrote:
> For REL_16_STABLE at 7cc2f59dd the average TPS was: 2020+-70,
> for REL_10_STABLE at c18c12c98 - 2260+-70
>
> The percentage difference was approximately 11%.
> Please see the 16vs10.png picture with the graphical representation of the data obtained.
> Also there are the raw data in the raw_data_s21.txt.
>
> In some days i hope to perform additional measurements that were mentioned above in this letter.
> It would be interesting to establish the reason for this difference. And  i would be very grateful
> if you could advise me what other settings can be tweaked.

There's really no point in comparing peformance with assertions enabled
(leaving aside assertions that cause extreme performance difference, making
development harder). We very well might have added assertions making things
more expensive, without affecting performance in optimized/non-assert builds.

Greetings,

Andres Freund