Re: Query execution in Perl TAP tests needs work

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Query execution in Perl TAP tests needs work
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2023-Oct-18, Robert Haas wrote:

> Without FFI::Platypus, we have to write Perl code that can speak the
> wire protocol directly. Basically, we're writing our own PostgreSQL
> driver for Perl, though we might need only a subset of the things a
> real driver would need to handle, and we might add some extra things,
> like code that can send intentionally botched protocol messages.

We could revive the old src/interfaces/perl5 code, which was a libpq
wrapper -- at least the subset of it that the tests need.  It was moved
to gborg by commit 9a0b4d7f8474 and a couple more versions were made
there, which can be seen at
https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/projects/gborg/pgperl/stable/,
version 2.1.1 being apparently the latest.  The complete driver was
about 3000 lines, judging by the commit that removed it.  Presumably we
don't need the whole of that.

Apparently the project was migrated from gborg to pgFoundry at some
point, because this exists
https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/projects/pgFoundry/pgperl/
and maybe they did some additional changes there, but at least
our FTP site doesn't show anything.  Perhaps there were never any
releases, and we don't have the CVSROOT.  But I doubt any changes at
that point would have been critical.