Re: Remove distprep

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Remove distprep
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-10-09 12:16:23 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 06.10.23 20:50, Andres Freund wrote:
> > The only thing I wonder is whether we ought to keep a maintainer-clean
> > target (as an alias to distclean), so that extensions that added things
> > to maintainer-clean continue to work.
>
> The patch does do that.

It kinda works, but I'm not sure how well.  Because the aliasing happens in
Makefile.global, we won't know about the "original" maintainer-clean target
once recursing into a subdir.

That's perhaps OK, because extensions likely won't utilize subdirectories? But
I'm not sure. I know that some people build postgres extensions by adding them
to contrib/, in those cases it won't work.

OTOH, it seems somewhat unlikely that maintainer-clean is utilized much in
extensions. I see it in things like postgis, but that has it's own configure
etc, even though it also invokes pgxs.

I wish we had an easy way of
a) downloading most working open-source extensions
b) building many of those

Greetings,

Andres Freund