Re: should frontend tools use syncfs() ?

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: should frontend tools use syncfs() ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 04, 2023 at 10:29:07AM -0500, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 01:56:08PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> We have a collection of platform-specific notes in chapter 19, including
>> file-system-related notes in section 19.2.  Maybe it could be put there?
>
> I will give this a try.

I started on this, but I couldn't shake the feeling that this wasn't the
right place for these notes.  This chapter is about setting up a server,
and the syncfs() notes do apply to the recovery_init_sync_method
configuration parameter, but it also applies to a number of server/client
applications.

I've been looking around, and I haven't found a great place to move this
section to.  IMO some of the other appendices have similar amounts of
information (e.g., Date/Time Support, The Source Code Repository, Color
Support), so maybe a dedicated appendix isn't too extreme.  Another option
could be to introduce a new section for platform-specific notes, but that
would just make this section even larger for now.

Thoughts?

--
Nathan Bossart