Re: pg_resetwal: Corrections around -c option

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: pg_resetwal: Corrections around -c option
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2023-Sep-28, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Branching off from [0], here is a for-discussion patch about some
> corrections for the pg_resetwal -c (--commit-timestamp-ids) option.
>
> First, in the documentation for finding a manual value for the -c option
> based on the files present in the data directory, it was missing a
> multiplier, like for the other SLRU-based values, and also missing the
> mention of adding one for the upper value.  The value I came up with is
> computed as
>
>     SLRU_PAGES_PER_SEGMENT * COMMIT_TS_XACTS_PER_PAGE = 13088 = 0x3320

Hmm, not sure about this.  SLRU_PAGES_PER_SEGMENT is 32, and
COMMIT_TS_XACTS_PER_PAGE is 819, so this formula gives decimal 26208 =
0x6660.  But more generally, I'm not sure about the algorithm.  Really,
the safe value also depends on how large the latest file actually is;
e.g., if your numerically greatest file is only 32kB long (four pages)
then you can't specify values that refer to Xids in pages 5 and beyond,
because those pages will not have been zeroed into existence yet, so
you'll get an error:
  ERROR:  could not access status of transaction 55692
  DETAIL:  Could not read from file "pg_commit_ts/0002" at offset 32768: read too few bytes.
I think a useful value can be had by multiplying 26208 by the latest
*complete* file number, then if there is an incomplete last file, add
819 multiplied by the number of pages in it.

Also, "numerically greatest" is the wrong thing in case you've recently
wrapped XIDs around but the oldest files (before the wraparound) are
still present.  You really want the "logically latest" files.  (I think
that'll coincide with the files having the latest modification times.)

Not sure how to write this concisely, though.  Should we really try?

(I think the number 13088 appeared somewhere in connection with
multixacts.  Maybe there was a confusion with that.)

> Second, the present pg_resetwal code hardcodes the minimum value as 2, which
> is FrozenTransactionId, but it's not clear why that is allowed. Maybe we
> should change that to FirstNormalTransactionId, which matches other
> xid-related options in pg_resetwal.

Yes, that's clearly a mistake I made at the last minute: in [1] I posted
this patch *without* the test for 2, and when I pushed the patch two
days later, I had introduced that without any further explanation.

BTW if you `git show 666e8db` (which is the SHA1 identifier for
pg_resetxlog.c that appears in the patch I posted back then) you'll see
that the existing code did not have any similar protection for valid XID
values.  The tests to FirstNormalTransactionId for -u and -x were
introduced by commit 74cf7d46a91d, seven years later -- that commit both
introduced -u as a new feature, and hardened the tests for -x, which was
previously only testing for zero.

[1] https://postgr.es/m/20141201223413.GH1737@alvh.no-ip.org

"Las navajas y los monos deben estar siempre distantes"   (Germán Poo)