Re: ALTER ROLE documentation improvement

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: ALTER ROLE documentation improvement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 02:25:38PM -0700, Yurii Rashkovskii wrote:
> Thank you for the feedback. I've updated the glossary and updated the
> terminology to be consistent. Please see the new patch attached.

Thanks for the new version of the patch.

      This user owns all system catalog tables in each database.  It is also the role
      from which all granted permissions originate.  Because of these things, this
-     role may not be dropped.
+     role may not be dropped. This role must always be a superuser, it can't be changed
+     to be a non-superuser.

I think we should move this note to the sentence just below that mentions
its superuserness.  Maybe it could look something like this:

    This role also behaves as a normal database superuser, and its
    superuser status cannot be revoked.

+   Database superusers can change any of these settings for any role, except for
+   for a <glossterm linkend="glossary-bootstrap-superuser">bootstrap superuser</glossterm>.

nitpick: s/a bootstrap superuser/the bootstrap superuser

 #: commands/user.c:871
 #, c-format
-msgid "The bootstrap user must have the %s attribute."
+msgid "The bootstrap superuser must have the %s attribute."
 msgstr "Der Bootstrap-Benutzer muss das %s-Attribut haben."

No need to update the translation files.  Those are updated separately in
the pgtranslation repo.

--
Nathan Bossart