Re: Have better wording for snapshot file reading failure

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Have better wording for snapshot file reading failure
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-09-14 10:33:33 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 01:19:38PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > +1. This errmsg is already present so it eases the translation burden as well.
>
> I was thinking about doing only that on HEAD, but there is an argument
> that one could get confusing errors when dealing with snapshot imports
> on back-branches as well, and it applies down to 11 without conflicts.
> So, applied and backpatched.

Huh. I don't think this is a good idea - and certainly not in the back
branches. The prior message made more sense, imo. The fact that the snapshot
identifier is a file is an implementation detail, no snapshot with the
identifier being exported is a user level detail. Hence that being mentioned
in the error message.

I can see an argument for treating ENOENT different than other errors though,
and using the standard file opening error message for anything other than
ENOENT.

Greetings,

Andres