Re: initdb caching during tests

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: initdb caching during tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-08-22 23:47:24 +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> I had a look at this today and have been running a lot of tests with it without
> finding anything that breaks.

Thanks!

> The duplicated code is unfortunate, but after playing around with some
> options I agree that it's likely the best option.

Good and bad to hear :)

> While looking I did venture down the rabbithole of making it support extra
> params as well, but I don't think moving the goalposts there is doing us any
> favors, it's clearly chasing diminishing returns.

Agreed. I also went down that rabbithole, but it quickly gets a lot more code
and complexity - and there just aren't that many tests using non-default
options.

> My only small gripe is that I keep thinking about template databases for CREATE
> DATABASE when reading the error messages in this patch, which is clearly not
> related to what this does.
>
> +   note("initializing database system by copying initdb template");
>
> I personally would've used cache instead of template in the user facing parts
> to keep concepts separated, but thats personal taste.

I am going back and forth on that one (as one can notice with $subject). It
doesn't quite seem like a cache, as it's not "created" on demand and only
usable when the exactly same parameters are used repeatedly. But template is
overloaded as you say...

> All in all, I think this is committable as is.

Cool. Planning to do that tomorrow. We can easily extend / adjust this later,
it just affects testing infrastructure.

Greetings,

Andres Freund