Re: Separate memory contexts for relcache and catcache

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Separate memory contexts for relcache and catcache
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2023-Aug-09, Melih Mutlu wrote:

> --Patch
>          name          | used_bytes | free_bytes | total_bytes
> -----------------------+------------+------------+-------------
>  RelCacheMemoryContext |    4706464 |    3682144 |     8388608
>  CatCacheMemoryContext |    3489384 |     770712 |     4260096
>  index info            |    2102160 |     113776 |     2215936
>  CacheMemoryContext    |       2336 |       5856 |        8192
>  relation rules        |       4416 |       3776 |        8192
> (5 rows)

Hmm, is this saying that there's too much fragmentation in the relcache
context?  Maybe it would improve things to make it a SlabContext instead
of AllocSet.  Or, more precisely, a bunch of SlabContexts, each with the
appropriate chunkSize for the object being stored.  (I don't say this
because I know for a fact that Slab is better for these purposes; it's
just that I happened to read its comments yesterday and they stated that
it behaves better in terms of fragmentation.  Maybe Andres or Tomas have
an opinion on this.)

"I love the Postgres community. It's all about doing things _properly_. :-)"
(David Garamond)