Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Дата
Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-06-12 16:23:14 +0400, Pavel Borisov wrote:
> Is the following true or not?
>
> 1. If we switch processes to threads but leave the amount of session
> local variables unchanged, there would be hardly any performance gain.

False.

> 2. If we move some backend's local variables into shared memory then
> the performance gain would be very near to what we get with threads
> having equal amount of session-local variables.

False.

> In other words, the overall goal in principle is to gain from less
> memory copying wherever it doesn't add the burden of locks for
> concurrent variables access?

False.

Those points seems pretty much unrelated to the potential gains from switching
to a threading model. The main advantages are:

1) We'd gain from being able to share state more efficiently (using normal
   pointers) and more dynamically (not needing to pre-allocate). That'd remove
   a good amount of complexity. As an example, consider the work we need to do
   to ferry tuples from one process to another. Even if we just continue to
   use shm_mq, in a threading world we could just put a pointer in the queue,
   but have the tuple data be shared between the processes etc.

   Eventually this could include removing the 1:1 connection<->process/thread
   model. That's possible to do with processes as well, but considerably
   harder.

2) Making context switches cheaper / sharing more resources at the OS and
   hardware level.

Greetings,

Andres Freund