Re: Fix search_path for all maintenance commands

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: Fix search_path for all maintenance commands
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 08, 2023 at 06:08:08PM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> I guess that's pretty narrow and a reasonable thing to desupport.
> Users could just mark those functions with search_path or schema
> qualify the object references in them. Perhaps we should also be
> picking up cases like that sooner so users realize they've created a
> footgun for themselves?

I'm inclined to agree that this is reasonable to desupport.  Relying on the
search_path for the cases Greg describes already seems rather fragile, so
I'm skeptical that forcing a safe one for maintenance commands would make
things significantly worse.  At least, it sounds like the right trade-off
based on Jeff's note about privilege escalation risks.

I bet we could skip forcing the search_path for maintenance commands run as
the table owner, but such a discrepancy seems likely to cause far more
confusion than anything else.

--
Nathan Bossart