Re: Proposal: Removing 32 bit support starting from PG17++

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Proposal: Removing 32 bit support starting from PG17++
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-05-24 20:34:38 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 11:51 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> You'll no doubt be glad to hear that I'll be retiring chickadee
> >> in the very near future.
>
> > . o O { I guess chickadee might have been OK anyway, along with e.g.
> > antique low-end SGI MIPS gear etc of "workstation"/"desktop" form that
> > any collector is likely to have still running, because they only had
> > one CPU (unlike their Vogon-spaceship-sized siblings).  As long as
> > they had 64 bit load/store instructions, those couldn't be 'divided'
> > by an interrupt, so scheduler switches shouldn't be able to tear them,
> > AFAIK? }
>
> PA-RISC can probably do tear-free 8-byte reads, but Andres also
> wanted to raise the bar enough to include 32-bit atomic instructions,
> which PA-RISC hasn't got; the one such instruction it has is
> limited enough that you can't do much beyond building a spinlock.

Yes, I looked at some point, and it didn't seem viable to do more.

> I think there's still some interest in not-antique 32-bit MIPS; I have some
> current-production routers with such CPUs.  (Sadly, they don't have enough
> storage to do anything useful with, or I'd think about repurposing one for
> buildfarm.)

After spending a bunch more time staring at various reference manuals, it
looks to me like 32bit MIPS supports 64 bit atomics these days, via LLWP /
SCWP.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/downloads-mips/documents/MD00086-2B-MIPS32BIS-AFP-6.06.pdf
documents them as having been added to MIPS32 Release 6, from 2014.

Greetings,

Andres Freund