Re: some namespace.c refactoring

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: some namespace.c refactoring
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2023-Feb-15, Tom Lane wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > Here are two patches that refactor the mostly repetitive "${object} is
> > visible" and get_${object}_oid() functions in namespace.c.  This uses
> > the functions in objectaddress.c to look up the appropriate per-catalog
> > system caches and attribute numbers, similar to other refactoring
> > patches I have posted recently.
>
> This does not look like a simple refactoring patch to me.  I have
> very serious concerns first about whether it even preserves the
> existing semantics, and second about whether there is a performance
> penalty.

I suppose there are two possible questionable angles from a performance
POV:

1. the new code uses get_object_property_data() when previously there
was a straight dereference after casting to the right struct type.  So
how expensive is that?  I think the answer to that is not great, because
it does a linear array scan on ObjectProperty.  Maybe we need a better
answer.

2. other accesses to the data are done using SysCacheGetAttr instead of
straight struct access dereferences.  I expect that most of the fields
being accessed have attcacheoff set, which allows pretty fast access to
the field in question, so it's not *that* bad.  (For cases where
attcacheoff is not set, then the original code would also have to deform
the tuple.)  Still, it's going to have nontrivial impact in any
microbenchmarking.

That said, I think most of this code is invoked for DDL, where
performance is not so critical; probably just fixing
get_object_property_data to not be so naïve would suffice.

Queries are another matter.  I can't think of a way to determine which
of these paths are used for queries, so that we can optimize more (IOW:
just plain not rewrite those); manually going through the callers seems
a bit laborious, but perhaps doable.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for
surely where thou typest "foo" someone someday shall type
"supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" (5th Commandment for C programmers)

Сообщение: Re: We shouldn't signal process groups with SIGQUIT
Сообщение: Re: We shouldn't signal process groups with SIGQUIT