Re: Progress report of CREATE INDEX for nested partitioned tables

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: Progress report of CREATE INDEX for nested partitioned tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
TBH, I think the best approach is what I did in:
0001-report-top-parent-progress-for-CREATE-INDEX.txt

That's a minimal patch, ideal for backpatching.

..which defines/clarifies that the progress reporting is only for
*direct* children.  That avoids the need to change any data structures,
and it's what was probably intended by the original patch, which doesn't
seem to have considered intermediate partitioned tables.

I think it'd be fine to re-define that in some future release, to allow
showing indirect children (probably only "leaves", and not intermediate
partitioned tables).  Or "total_bytes" or other global progress.

--
Justin