Re: Reduce timing overhead of EXPLAIN ANALYZE using rdtsc?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Reduce timing overhead of EXPLAIN ANALYZE using rdtsc?
Дата
Re: Reduce timing overhead of EXPLAIN ANALYZE using rdtsc?  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-01-17 12:26:57 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Here's an updated version of the move to representing instr_time as
> > nanoseconds. It's now split into a few patches:
>
> I took a quick look through this.

Thanks!

> > 0001) Add INSTR_TIME_SET_ZERO() calls where otherwise 0002 causes gcc to
> >       warn
> >       Alternatively we can decide to deprecate INSTR_TIME_SET_ZERO() and
> >       just allow to assign 0.
>
> I think it's probably wise to keep the macro.  If we ever rethink this
> again, we'll be glad we kept it.  Similarly, IS_ZERO is a good idea
> even if it would work with just compare-to-zero.

Perhaps an INSTR_TIME_ZERO() that could be assigned in variable definitions
could give us the best of both worlds?

> I'm almost tempted to suggest you define instr_time as a struct with a
> uint64 field, just to help keep us honest about that.

I can see that making sense. Unless somebody pipes up with opposition to that
plan soon, I'll see how it goes.

> > 0003) Add INSTR_TIME_SET_SECOND()
> >       This is used in 0004. Just allows setting an instr_time to a time in
> >       seconds, allowing for a cheaper loop exit condition in 0004.
>
> Code and comments are inconsistent about whether it's SET_SECOND or
> SET_SECONDS.  I think I prefer the latter, but don't care that much.

That's probably because I couldn't decide... So I'll go with your preference.

> > 0004) report nanoseconds in pg_test_timing
>
> Didn't examine 0004 in any detail, but the others look good to go
> other than these nits.

Thanks for looking!

Greetings,

Andres Freund