Re: Names of run-time configuration parameters (was: Limiting the operations that client-side code can perform upon its database backend's artifacts)

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: Names of run-time configuration parameters (was: Limiting the operations that client-side code can perform upon its database backend's artifacts)
Дата
Ответ на Re: Names of run-time configuration parameters (was: Limiting the operations that client-side code can perform upon its database backend's artifacts)  (Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com>)
Ответы Re: Names of run-time configuration parameters (was: Limiting the operations that client-side code can perform upon its database backend's artifacts)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On 2022-10-01 20:24:21 +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2022 at 02:05:53PM +0200, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> > On 2022-09-30 17:59:01 -0700, Bryn Llewellyn wrote:
> > > set rls.tenant_id=42;
> >
> > This works because there is a "." in the name. Without the "."
> > PostgreSQL complains:
> >
> > hjp=> set rls_tenant_id=42;
> > ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "rls_tenant_id"
> >
> > I think I sort of knew this but had forgotten about it, so checked the
> > manual for the exact rules. Unfortunately I couldn't find them
[...]
> > From the documentation I get the impression that you can only set
> > existing parameters, not your own.
> >
> > I therefore suggest adding something like this to the section
> > "configuration_parameter" in
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-set.html:

[...]
> > (This of course assumes that the behaviour is intentional and not a
> > bug.)
>
> This is intentional, and documented at
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/runtime-config-custom.html.

So it's there but hard to find (I did read the table of contents at
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/runtime-config.html but I guess after
all the subchapters about specific configuration parameters I didn't
notice the one generic subchapter near the end).

I think referring to that chapter from
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-set.html and possibly other
places would help.

        hp

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Names of run-time configuration parameters (was: Limiting the operations that client-side code can perform upon its database backend's artifacts)