Re: proposal: Allocate work_mem From Pool

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: proposal: Allocate work_mem From Pool
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 03:55:39AM -0700, Joseph D Wagner wrote:
> Before I try to answer that, I need to know how the scheduler works.
>
> Let's say there's a max of 8 worker process, and 12 queries trying to run.
> When does query #9 run? After the first of 1-8 completes, simple FIFO?
> Or something else?
>
> Also, how long goes a query hold a worker process?  All the way to
> completion?  Or does is perform some unit of work and rotate to
> another query?

I think what you're referring to as a worker process is what postgres refers to
as a "client backend" (and not a "parallel worker", even though that sounds
more similar to your phrase).

> P.S.  If there's a link to all this somewhere, please let me know.
> Parsing through years of email archives is not always user friendly or
> helpful.

Looking at historic communication is probably the easy part.
Here's some to start you out.
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/4d39869f4bdc42b3a43004e3685ac45d%40index.de

--
Justin