Re: Using PQexecQuery in pipeline mode produces unexpected Close messages

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Using PQexecQuery in pipeline mode produces unexpected Close messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
So I wrote some more test scenarios for this, and as I wrote in some
other thread, I realized that there are more problems than just some
NOTICE trouble.  For instance, if you send a query, then read the result
but not the terminating NULL then send another query, everything gets
confused; the next thing you'll read is the result for the second query,
without having read the NULL that terminates the results of the first
query.  Any application that expects the usual flow of results will be
confused.  Kyotaro's patch to add PIPELINE_IDLE fixes this bit too, as
far as I can tell.

However, another problem case, not fixed by PIPELINE_IDLE, occurs if you
exit pipeline mode after PQsendQuery() and then immediately use
PQexec().  The CloseComplete will be received at the wrong time, and a
notice is emitted nevertheless.

I spent a lot of time trying to understand how to fix this last bit, and
the solution I came up with is that PQsendQuery() must add a second
entry to the command queue after the PGQUERY_EXTENDED one, to match the
CloseComplete message being expected; with that entry in the queue,
PQgetResult will really only get to IDLE mode after the Close has been
seen, which is what we want.  I named it PGQUERY_CLOSE.

Sadly, some hacks are needed to make this work fully:

1. the client is never expecting that PQgetResult() would return
   anything for the CloseComplete, so something needs to consume the
   CloseComplete silently (including the queue entry for it) when it is
   received; I chose to do this directly in pqParseInput3.  I tried to
   make PQgetResult itself do it, but it became a pile of hacks until I
   was no longer sure what was going on.  Putting it in fe-protocol3.c
   ends up a lot cleaner.  However, we still need PQgetResult to invoke
   parseInput() at the point where Close is expected.

2. if an error occurs while executing the query, the CloseComplete will
   of course never arrive, so we need to erase it from the queue
   silently if we're returning an error.

I toyed with the idea of having parseInput() produce a PGresult that
encodes the Close message, and have PQgetResult consume and discard
that, then read some further message to have something to return.  But
it seemed inefficient and equally ugly and I'm not sure that flow
control is any simpler.

I think another possibility would be to make PQexitPipelineMode
responsible for /something/, but I'm not sure what that would be.
Checking the queue and seeing if the next message is CloseComplete, then
eating that message before exiting pipeline mode?  That seems way too
magical.  I didn't attempt this.

I attach a patch series that implements the proposed fix (again for
REL_14_STABLE) in steps, to make it easy to read.  I intend to squash
the whole lot into a single commit before pushing.  But while writing
this email it occurred to me that I need to add at least one more test,
to receive a WARNING while waiting for CloseComplete.  AFAICT it should
work, but better make sure.

I produced pipeline_idle.trace file by running the test in the fully
fixed tree, then used it to verify that all tests fail in different ways
when run without the fixes.  The first fix with PIPELINE_IDLE fixes some
of these failures, and the PGQUERY_CLOSE one fixes the remaining one.
Reading the trace file, it looks correct to me.

"Doing what he did amounts to sticking his fingers under the hood of the
implementation; if he gets his fingers burnt, it's his problem."  (Tom Lane)

Вложения