Re: Support logical replication of DDLs

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Jun-22, vignesh C wrote:

> 1) Creation of temporary table fails infinitely in the subscriber.
> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE temp1 (a int primary key);
>
> The above statement is converted to the below format:
> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE  pg_temp.temp1 (a pg_catalog.int4   ,
> CONSTRAINT temp1_pkey PRIMARY KEY (a));
> While handling the creation of temporary table in the worker, the
> worker fails continuously with the following error:
> 2022-06-22 14:24:01.317 IST [240872] ERROR:  schema "pg_temp" does not exist

Perhaps one possible fix is to change the JSON format string used in
deparse_CreateStmt.  Currently, the following is used:

+       if (node->ofTypename)
+               fmtstr = "CREATE %{persistence}s TABLE %{if_not_exists}s %{identity}D "
+                       "OF %{of_type}T %{table_elements}s "
+                       "%{with_clause}s %{on_commit}s %{tablespace}s";
+       else
+               fmtstr = "CREATE %{persistence}s TABLE %{if_not_exists}s %{identity}D "
+                       "(%{table_elements:, }s) %{inherits}s "
+                       "%{with_clause}s %{on_commit}s %{tablespace}s";
+
+       createStmt =
+               new_objtree_VA(fmtstr, 1,
+                                          "persistence", ObjTypeString,
+                                          get_persistence_str(relation->rd_rel->relpersistence));

(Note that the word for the "persistence" element here comes straight
from relation->rd_rel->relpersistence.)  Maybe it would be more
appropriate to set the schema to empty when the table is temp, since the
temporary-ness is in the %{persistence} element, and thus there is no
need to schema-qualify the table name.

However, that would still replicate a command that involves a temporary
table, which perhaps should not be considered fit for replication.  So
another school of thought is that if the %{persistence} is set to
TEMPORARY, then it would be better to skip replicating the command
altogether.  I'm not sure how to plug that in the replication layer,
however.

"At least to kernel hackers, who really are human, despite occasional
rumors to the contrary" (LWN.net)