Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 10:04:06AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 9:52 AM Peter Eisentraut
> <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > That means changing the system's ABI, so in the extreme case you then
> > need to compile everything else to match as well.
>
> I think we wouldn't want to do that in a minor release, but doing it
> in a new major release seems fine -- especially if only AIX is
> affected.

"Everything" isn't limited to PostgreSQL.  The Perl ABI exposes large structs
to plperl; a field of type double could require the AIX user to rebuild Perl
with the same compiler option.

Overall, this could be a textbook example of choosing between:

- Mild harm (unaesthetic column order) to many people.
- Considerable harm (dump/reload instead of pg_upgrade) to a small, unknown,
  possibly-zero quantity of people.

Here's how I rank the options, from most-preferred to least-preferred:

1. Put new eight-byte fields at the front of each catalog, when in doubt.
2. On systems where double alignment differs from int64 alignment, require
   NAMEDATALEN%8==0.  Upgrading to v16 would require dump/reload for AIX users
   changing NAMEDATALEN to conform to the new restriction.
3. Introduce new typalign values.  Upgrading to v16 would require dump/reload
   for all AIX users.
4. De-support AIX.
5. From above, "Somehow forcing values that are sometimes 4-byte aligned and
   sometimes 8-byte aligned to be 8-byte alignment on all platforms".
   Upgrading to v16 would require dump/reload for all AIX users.
6. Require -qalign=natural on AIX.  Upgrading to v16 would require dump/reload
   and possible system library rebuilds for all AIX users.

I gather (1) isn't at the top of your ranking, or you wouldn't have written
in.  What do you think of (2)?

Сообщение: Re: pg15b1: FailedAssertion("val > base", File: "...src/include/utils/relptr.h", Line: 67, PID: 30485)
Сообщение: Re: pg15b1: FailedAssertion("val > base", File: "...src/include/utils/relptr.h", Line: 67, PID: 30485)