Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Дата
Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-06-02 13:08:49 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm not quite sure what the proper behaviour is when doing an out-of-tree
> > build with meson (all builds are out-of-tree), with a pre-existing flex /
> > bison output in the source tree that is out of date.
>
> Definitely sounds like a gotcha.
>
> On the one hand, there's been some discussion already of removing all
> derived files from tarballs and just insisting that users provide all
> needed tools when building from source.  If we did that, it could be
> sufficient for the meson build to check that no such files are present
> in the source tree.  (Checking a couple of them would be enough, likely.)

There already is a check for pg_config.h, so the most obvious source of this
is addressed. Just didn't think about the files that make clean doesn't remove
:/.

> On the other hand, I'm not sure that I want such a change to be forced
> by a toolchain change.  It definitely seems a bit contrary to the plan
> we'd formed of allowing meson and make-based builds to coexist for
> a few years, because we'd be breaking at least some make-based build
> processes.

Agreed. I think it'd be pretty reasonable to not include flex / bison
output. They're not hard to acquire. The docs are perhaps another story.

I think it might be fine to say that make reallyclean (*) is required if
there's some conflicting in-source tree file?

> Could we have the meson build check that, say, if gram.c exists it
> is newer than gram.y?  Or get it to ignore an in-tree gram.c?

I suspect the problem with ignoring is gram.h, that's probably a bit harder to
ignore. Right now I'm leaning towards either always erroring out if there's
bison/flex output in the source tree (with a hint towards make
reallyclean(*)), or erroring out if they're out of date (again with a hint
towards reallyclean)?

Alternatively we could just remove the generated .c/h files from the source
dir, as a part of regenerating them in the build dir? But I like the idea of
the source dir being readonly outside of explicit targets modifying sources
(e.g. update-unicode or such).

Greetings,

Andres Freund

(*) do we really not have a target that removes bison / flex output?