Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-06-01 12:39:50 +0300, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> > > ```
> > > ../src/include/parser/kwlist.h:332:25: error: ‘PARAMETER’ undeclared here (not
> > > in a function)
> > > 332 | PG_KEYWORD("parameter", PARAMETER, UNRESERVED_KEYWORD, BARE_LABEL)
> > >
> > > ../src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/keywords.c:32:55: note: in definition of macro
> > > ‘PG_KEYWORD’
> > > 32 | #define PG_KEYWORD(kwname, value, category, collabel) value,
> > > ```
> >
> > Huh. I've not seen this before - could you provide a bit more detail about
> > what you did? CI isn't testing ubuntu, but it is testing Debian, so I'd expect
> > this to work.
>
> I used PIP to install Meson, since the default APT package is too old, v0.53:
>
> $ pip3 install --user meson
> $ meson --version
> 0.62.1
> $ ninja --version
> 1.10.0
>
> The branch was checked out as it was described in the first email.
> Then to reproduce the issue:
>
> $ git status
> On branch meson
> Your branch is up to date with 'andres/meson'.
> $ git fetch andres
> $ git rebase -i andres/meson
> $ meson setup build --buildtype debug
> $ cd build
> $ ninja
>
> This is pretty much the default Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS system with all the
> recent updates installed, so it shouldn't be a problem to reproduce
> the issue with a VM.

Chatting with a colleague (who unbeknownst to me hit something similar in the
past) I think we figured it out. It's not due to Ubuntu 20.04 or such. It's
likely due to previously having an in-tree build with autoconf, doing make
clean, doing a git pull, then building with meson. The meson build doesn't yet
handle pre-existing flex / bison output.

I had tried to defend against conflicts with in-tree builds by detecting an
in-tree pg_config.h, but that doesn't help with files that aren't removed by
make clean. Like bison / flex output.

And I didn't notice this problem because it doesn't cause visible issues until
the lexer / grammar changes...

I'm not quite sure what the proper behaviour is when doing an out-of-tree
build with meson (all builds are out-of-tree), with a pre-existing flex /
bison output in the source tree that is out of date.

Greetings,

Andres Freund