Re: allow building trusted languages without the untrusted versions

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: allow building trusted languages without the untrusted versions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 07:09:03PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Instead, I'd argue that we should be continuing to work in the direction
> of splitting up what can only be done by a superuser today using
> predefined roles and other methods along those lines.  How that lines up
> with this latest ask around untrusted languages is something I'm not
> exactly sure about, but a magic configure option that is
> "--don't-allow-what-AWS-doesn't-want-to-allow" certainly doesn't seem
> like it's going in the right direction (and, no, not every cloud
> provider is going to want the exact same thing when it comes to whatever
> this option is that we're talking about, so we'd end up having to have
> configure options for each if we start going down this road...).

I guess I'd like to do both.  I agree with continuing the work with
predefined roles, etc., but I also think there is value in being able to
compile out things that allow arbitrary disk/network access.  My intent
with this thread is the latter, and I'm trying to tackle this in a way that
is generically useful even beyond the cloud provider use case.

--
Nathan Bossart