Re: removing datlastsysoid

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: removing datlastsysoid
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2022-May-16, David Steele wrote:

> On 5/16/22 10:26 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I think that when we approach the point where the system OID range
> > is saturated, we'll give up the principle of system OIDs being
> > globally unique instead of doing that.  There's no fundamental
> > reason why unique-per-catalog wouldn't be good enough, and letting
> > that be the standard would give us many more years of breathing room.
>
> I'm in favor of global IDs since they help prevent incorrect joins, but
> agree that what you propose would likely be the least painful solution.

I just had that property alert me of a bug last week, so yeah.  I wish
there was a way to keep that at least partially -- say use an individual
OID counter for pg_proc (the most populous OID-bearing catalog) and keep
a shared one for all other catalogs.

"No tengo por qué estar de acuerdo con lo que pienso"
                             (Carlos Caszeli)