Re: Documentation Suggestion

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Documentation Suggestion
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
I pushed the other suggested bits.

On 2022-May-13, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 10:06:57AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I don't think this is an improvement, mainly for the reason David
> > mentions: why wouldn't you need a similar statement on every single
> > one of our program man pages?
>
> I think the confusion is that while the option arguments are
> case-sensitive, many of the values are typically used as all upper-case,
> and I think any doc mention would have to include that:
>
>     Note that valid --auth option values are all lower case, even
>     for authentication types that typically appear as all upper case,
>     e.g., "LDAP".

Yeah, that was my initial thought too.  The case-sensitivity is a
consideration for other things too (such as locale or encoding names),
but for those we do match the operating system name exactly, rather than
using our own lower-case version of it, which nobody else uses.

So really the point is not about the fact that it is case sensitive as
that the case of our name doesn't match the usual one.  Maybe the note
should be "Note that authentication types are all lower case, [even for
...]" or something like that.

"I can see support will not be a problem.  10 out of 10."    (Simon Wittber)
      (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-12/msg00159.php)