Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-04-21 17:34:47 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> FWIW, I don't think that either gaur or prairiedog need be factored into
> this conversation.  They cannot build ninja at all for lack of <spawn.h>,
> so whether they could run meson is pretty much beside the point.

Yea.

> (I wonder if we should stick in a configure test for <spawn.h>,
> just to see if anything else doesn't have it?)

Might be worth doing?

> We should worry a little more about Solaris and AIX, but even there I
> think it's largely up to the platform owner whether they've updated
> python to something modern.

Looks like "AIX toolbox" is at 3.7. Solaris 11.4 apparently has 3.5 (11.3 is
EOL January 2024).

I think it's worth caring about supporting 3.6 due to RHEL 7 for now.

> If it isn't, you need to move the goalposts
> back some more :-(.  As of today I see the following pre-3.6 pythons
> in the buildfarm, exclusive of mine:
>
> skate        3.2.3
> snapper        3.2.3

Debian wheezy, I feel ok with dropping that.

> topminnow    3.4.2

Debian jessie, similar.

> hornet        3.4.3
> sungazer    3.4.3

Looks like a newer python version is available for AIX, without manually
compiling.

> wrasse        3.4.3

Apparently solaris 11.4 has python 3.5 (still not great :/)

> shelduck    3.4.10

This animal seems to have retired.

> curculio    3.5.1

Supported versions of openbsd have modern versions of python.

> hoverfly    3.5.1

AIX

> batfish        3.5.2
> spurfowl    3.5.2
> cuon        3.5.2

Ubuntu 16.04 is EOL (since 2021-04), outside of paid extended support.

> ayu        3.5.3
> chimaera    3.5.3
> chipmunk    3.5.3
> grison        3.5.3
> mussurana    3.5.3
> tadarida    3.5.3
> urocryon    3.5.3

These are all [variants of] debian stretch. I think we should be ok dropping
support for that, the extended "LTS" support for stretch ends June 30, 2022
(with the last non-extended update at July 18, 2020).

Greetings,

Andres Freund

[1] https://repology.org/project/python/versions

Сообщение: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8
Сообщение: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson -v8