Re: MDAM techniques and Index Skip Scan patch

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: MDAM techniques and Index Skip Scan patch
Дата
Re: MDAM techniques and Index Skip Scan patch  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-03-22 16:55:49 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> 4. I find each of the above ideas to be far more attractive than
> optimizing SELECT-DISTINCT-that-matches-an-index, so I don't really
> understand why the current patchsets seem to be driven largely
> by that single use-case.

It's something causing plenty pain in production environments... Obviously
it'd be even better if the optimization also triggered in cases like
  SELECT some_indexed_col FROM blarg GROUP BY some_indexed_col
which seems to be what ORMs like to generate.

> BTW, I've had a bee in my bonnet for a long time about whether some of
> nbtree's scan setup work could be done once during planning, rather than
> over again during each indexscan start.

It does show up in simple-index-lookup heavy workloads. Not as a major thing,
but it's there. And it's just architecturally displeasing :)

Are you thinking of just moving the setup stuff in nbtree (presumably parts of
_bt_first() / _bt_preprocess_keys()) or also stuff in
ExecIndexBuildScanKeys()?

The latter does show up a bit more heavily in profiles than nbtree specific
setup, and given that it's generic executor type stuff, seems even more
amenable to being moved to plan time.

Greetings,

Andres Freund