Re: Allow async standbys wait for sync replication

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Allow async standbys wait for sync replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-03-05 14:14:54 +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> I understand. Even if we use the SyncRepWaitForLSN approach, the async
> walsenders will have to do nothing in WalSndLoop() until the sync
> walsender wakes them up via SyncRepWakeQueue.

I still think we should flat out reject this approach. The proper way to
implement this feature is to change the protocol so that WAL can be sent to
replicas with an additional LSN informing them up to where WAL can be
flushed. That way WAL is already sent when the sync replicas have acknowledged
receipt and just an updated "flush/apply up to here" LSN has to be sent.

- Andres