Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2022-02-10 16:13:33 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 06:25:45PM +0100, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> > >
> > > My use case for such a feature are tables which contain one column (or a
> > > small number of columns) which you usually don't want to select: A bytea
> > > column or a very wide text column. In a program I don't mind (in fact I
> > > prefer) listing all the columns explicitely, but exploring a database
> > > interactively with psql typing lots of column names is tedious
> > > (especially since autocomplete doesn't work here).
> >
> > Forgot to add: I think that the syntax would have to be more explicit.
[...]
> > Maybe
> >     SELECT * EXCEPT b.a_id FROM ...
>
> Yes, this was proposed on hackers a few months ago and a patch was
> proposed:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/892708.1634233481%40sss.pgh.pa.us#1f17923ad50a1442867162991c54ead9

Interesting idea, but quite different, actually: That puts the exclusion
into the table definition instead of the query.

But I think if I want to bake that into my data model I'll just use a
view.

But that thread led me back to a discussion on this list from almost
exactly 2 years ago ...

        hp

Вложения