Re: Is there a way (except from server logs) to know the kind of on-going/last checkpoint?

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: Is there a way (except from server logs) to know the kind of on-going/last checkpoint?
Дата
Ответ на Re: Is there a way (except from server logs) to know the kind of on-going/last checkpoint?  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 08:21:52PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:

> I don't think we need to change pg_upgrade's ControlData controldata;
> structure as the information may not be needed there and the while
> loop there specifically parses/searches for the required
> pg_controldata output texts. Am I missing something here?

Right, I was remembering that there was a check that all expected fields were
found but after double checking I was clearly wrong, sorry about that.

> > Also, you still didn't fix the possible flag upgrade issue.

Unless I'm missing something that's an issue that you still haven't addressed
or explained why it's not a problem?

> > Why are you defining CHECKPOINT_KIND_TEXT_LENGTH twice?  You
> > should just define it in some sensible header used by both files, or better
> > have a new function to take care of that rather than having the code
> > duplicated.
>
> Yeah, added the macro in pg_control.h. I also wanted to have a common
> function to get checkpoint kind text and place it in
> controldata_utils.c, but it doesn't have xlog.h included, so no
> checkpoint flags there, hence I refrained from the common function
> idea.

That's a bit annoying, I'm not sure what's best to do here.