Re: slowest tap tests - split or accelerate?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: slowest tap tests - split or accelerate?
Дата
Re: slowest tap tests - split or accelerate?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: slowest tap tests - split or accelerate?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-01-17 14:05:17 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 1:41 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > The reason these in particular are slow is that they do a lot of
> > pg_basebackups without either / one-of -cfast / --no-sync. The lack of -cfast
> > in particularly is responsible for a significant proportion of the test
> > time. The only reason this didn't cause the tests to take many minutes is that
> > spread checkpoints only throttle when writing out a buffer and there aren't
> > that many dirty buffers...
>
> Adding -cfast to 002_algorithm.pl seems totally reasonable. I'm not
> sure what else can realistically be done to speed it up without losing
> the point of the test. And it's basically just a single loop, so
> splitting it up doesn't seem to make a lot of sense either.

It's also not that slow compared other tests after the -cfast addition.

However, I'm a bit surprised at how long the individual pg_verifybackup calls
take on windows - about as long as the pg_basebackup call itself.

 Running: pg_basebackup -D
C:/dev/postgres/.\src\bin\pg_verifybackup\/tmp_check/t_002_algorithm_primary_data/backup/sha224--manifest-checksums
sha224--no-sync -cfast

# timing: [4.798 + 0.704s]: complete
# Running: pg_verifybackup -e
C:/dev/postgres/.\src\bin\pg_verifybackup\/tmp_check/t_002_algorithm_primary_data/backup/sha224
backup successfully verified
# timing: [5.507 + 0.697s]: completed

Interestingly, with crc32c, this is not so:

# Running: pg_basebackup -D
C:/dev/postgres/.\src\bin\pg_verifybackup\/tmp_check/t_002_algorithm_primary_data/backup/crc32c--manifest-checksums
crc32c--no-sync -cfast

# timing: [3.500 + 0.688s]: completed
ok 5 - backup ok with algorithm "crc32c"
ok 6 - crc32c is mentioned many times in the manifest
# Running: pg_verifybackup -e
C:/dev/postgres/.\src\bin\pg_verifybackup\/tmp_check/t_002_algorithm_primary_data/backup/crc32c
backup successfully verified
# timing: [4.194 + 0.197s]: completed

I wonder if there's something explaining why pg_verifybackup is greatly slowed
down by sha224 but not crc32c, but the server's runtime only differs by ~20ms?
It seems incongruous that pg_basebackup, with all the complexity of needing to
communicate with the server, transferring the backup over network, and *also*
computing checksums, takes as long as the pg_verifybackup invocation?

> pg_basebackup's 010_pg_basebackup.pl looks like it could be split up,
> though. That one, at least to me, looks like people have just kept
> adding semi-related things into the same test file.

Yea.

It's generally interesting how much time initdb takes in these tests. It's
about 1.1s on my linux workstation, and 2.1s on windows.

I've occasionally pondered caching initdb results and reusing them across
tests - just the locking around it seems a bit nasty, but perhaps that could
be done as part of the tmp_install step. Of course, it'd need to deal with
different options etc...

Greetings,

Andres Freund