Re: Add sub-transaction overflow status in pg_stat_activity

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: Add sub-transaction overflow status in pg_stat_activity
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 12:13:39AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> The discussion just upthread was envisioning not only that we'd add
> infrastructure for this, but then that other projects would build
> more infrastructure on top of that.  That's an awful lot of work
> that will become useless --- indeed maybe counterproductive --- once
> we find an actual fix.  I say "counterproductive" because I wonder
> what compatibility problems we'd have if the eventual fix results in
> fundamental changes in the way things work in this area.

I'm not sure what you're referring to.  If that's the hackish extension I
mentioned, its goal was to provide exactly what this thread is about so I
wasn't advocating for additional tooling.  If that's about pgBagder, no extra
work would be needed: there's already a report about any WARNING/ERROR and such
found in the logs so the information would be immediately visible.

> Since it's worked the same way for a lot of years, I'm not impressed
> by arguments that we need to push something into v15.

Well, people have also been struggling with it for a lot of years, even if they
don't always come here to complain about it.  And apparently at least 2 people
already had to code something similar to be able to find the problematic
transactions, so I still think that at least some monitoring improvement would
be welcome in v15 if none of the other approach get committed.