Re: [PoC] Delegating pg_ident to a third party

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [PoC] Delegating pg_ident to a third party
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Jacob Champion (pchampion@vmware.com) wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-01-03 at 12:36 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Jacob Champion (pchampion@vmware.com) wrote:

> > This is the part that I really wonder about also ... I've always viewed
> > pg_ident as being intended mainly for one-to-one kind of mappings and
> > not the "map a bunch of different users into the same role" that this
> > advocated for.  Being able to have roles and memberships automatically
> > created is much more the direction that I'd say we should be going in,
> > so that in-database auditing has an actual user to go on and not some
> > generic role that could be any number of people.
>
> That last point was my motivation for the authn_id patch [1] -- so that
> auditing could see the actual user _and_ the generic role. The
> information is already there to be used, it's just not exposed to the
> stats framework yet.

While that helps, and I generally support adding that information to the
logs, it's certainly not nearly as good or useful as having the actual
user known to the database.

> Forcing one role per individual end user is wasteful and isn't really
> making good use of the role-based system that you already have.
> Generally speaking, when administering hundreds or thousands of users,
> people start dividing them up into groups as opposed to dealing with
> them individually. So I don't think new features should be taking away
> flexibility in this area -- if one role per user already works well for
> you, great, but don't make everyone do the same.

Using the role system we have to assign privileges certainly is useful
and sensible, of course, though I don't see where you've actually made
an argument for why one role per individual is somehow wasteful or
somehow takes away from the role system that we have for granting
rights.  I'm also not suggesting that we make everyone do the same
thing, indeed, later on I was supportive of having an external system
provide the mapping.  Here, I'm just making the point that we should
also be looking at automatic role/membership creation.

> > I'd go a step further and suggest that the way to do this is with a
> > background worker that's started up and connects to an LDAP
> > infrastructure and listens for changes, allowing the system to pick up
> > on new roles/memberships as soon as they're created in the LDAP
> > environment.  That would then be controlled by appropriate settings in
> > postgresql.conf/.auto.conf.
>
> This is roughly what you can already do with existing (third-party)
> tools, and that approach isn't scaling out in practice for some of our
> existing customers. The load on the central server, for thousands of
> idle databases dialing in just to see if there are any new users, is
> huge.

If you're referring specifically to cron-based tools which are
constantly hammering on the LDAP servers running the same queries over
and over, sure, I agree that that's creating load on the LDAP
infrastructure (though, well, it was kind of designed to be very
scalable for exactly that kind of load, no?  So I'm not really sure why
that's such an issue..).  That's also why I specifically wasn't
suggesting that and was instead suggesting that we have something that's
connected to one of the (hopefully, many, many) LDAP servers and is
doing change monitoring, allowing changes to be pushed down to PG,
rather than cronjobs constantly running the same queries and re-checking
things over and over.  I appreciate that that's also not free, but I
don't believe it's nearly as bad as the cron-based approach and it's
certainly something that an LDAP infrastructure should be really rather
good at.

> > All that said, I do see how having the ability to call out to another
> > system for mappings may be useful, so I'm not sure that we shouldn't
> > consider this specific change and have it be specifically just for
> > mappings, in which case pg_ident seems appropriate.
>
> Yeah, this PoC was mostly an increment on the functionality that
> already existed. The division between what goes in pg_hba and what goes
> in pg_ident is starting to blur with this patchset, though, and I think
> Peter's point is sound.

This part I tend to disagree with- pg_ident for mappings and for ways to
call out to other systems to provide those mappings strikes me as
entirely appropriate and doesn't blur the lines and that's really what
this patch seems to be primarily about.  Peter noted that there might be
other things we want to do and argued that those might not be
appropriate in pg_ident, which I tend to agree with, but I don't think
we need to invent something entirely new for mappings when we have
pg_ident already.

When it comes to the question of "how to connect to an LDAP server for
$whatever", it seems like it'd be nice to be able to configure that once
and reuse that configuration.  Not sure I have a great suggestion for
how to do that.  The approach this patch takes of adding options to
pg_hba for that, just like other options in pg_hba do, strikes me as
pretty reasonable.  I would advocate for other methods to work when it
comes to authenticating to LDAP from PG though (such as GSSAPI, in
particular, of course...).

> > I certainly don't think we should have this be limited to LDAP auth-
> > such an external mapping ability is suitable for any authentication
> > method that supports a mapping (thinking specifically of GSSAPI, of
> > course..).  Not sure if that's what was meant above but did want to
> > make sure that was clear.
>
> You can't use usermaps with LDAP auth yet, so no, that's not what I
> meant. (I have another patch for that feature in commitfest, which
> would allow these two things to be used together.)

Yes, I'm aware of the other patch, just wanted to make sure the intent
is for this to work for all map-supporting auth methods.  Figured that
was the case but the examples in the prior email had me concerned and
just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения