Re: Addition of --no-sync to pg_upgrade for test speedup

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Addition of --no-sync to pg_upgrade for test speedup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Dec-16, Michael Paquier wrote:

> In pg_upgrade, we let the flush happen with initdb --sync-only, based
> on the binary path of the new cluster, so I think that we are not
> going to miss any test coverage by skipping that.

There was one patch of mine with breakage that only manifested in the
pg_upgrade test *because* of its lack of no-sync.  I'm afraid that this
change would hide certain problems.
https://postgr.es/m/20210130023011.n545o54j65t4kgxn@alap3.anarazel.de

> Thoughts or opinions?

I'm not 100% comfortable with this.  What can we do to preserve *some*
testing that include syncing?  Maybe some option that a few buildfarm
animals use?

"The Postgresql hackers have what I call a "NASA space shot" mentality.
 Quite refreshing in a world of "weekend drag racer" developers."
(Scott Marlowe)