Re: pg_stat_bgwriter.buffers_backend is pretty meaningless (and more?)

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: pg_stat_bgwriter.buffers_backend is pretty meaningless (and more?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 03:02:24PM -0500, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> Thanks again! I really appreciate the thorough review.
>
> I have combined responses to all three of your emails below.
> Let me know if it is more confusing to do it this way.

One email is better than three - I'm just not a model citizen ;)

Thanks for updating the patch.  I checked that all my previous review comments
were addressed (except for the part about passing the 3D array to a function -
I know that technically the pointer is being passed).

+int backend_type_get_idx(BackendType backend_type)

+BackendType idx_get_backend_type(int idx)

=> I think it'd be desirable for these to be either static functions (which
won't work for your needs) or macros, or inline functions in the header.

-       if (strcmp(target, "archiver") == 0)

+       pgstat_setheader(&msg.m_hdr, PGSTAT_MTYPE_RESETSHAREDCOUNTER);

+       if (strcmp(target, "buffers") == 0)

=> This should be added in alphabetical order.  Which is unimportant, but it
will also makes the patch 2 lines shorter.  The doc patch should also be in
order.

+                * Don't count dead backends. They will be added below There are no

=> Missing a period.

--
Justin