Re: O(n) tasks cause lengthy startups and checkpoints

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: O(n) tasks cause lengthy startups and checkpoints
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-12-01 20:24:25 +0000, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
> I realize adding a new maintenance worker might be a bit heavy-handed,
> but I think it would be nice to have somewhere to offload tasks that
> really shouldn't impact startup and checkpointing.  I imagine such a
> process would come in handy down the road, too.  WDYT?

-1. I think the overhead of an additional worker is disproportional here. And
there's simplicity benefits in having a predictable cleanup interlock as well.

I think particularly for the snapshot stuff it'd be better to optimize away
unnecessary snapshot files, rather than making the cleanup more asynchronous.

Greetings,

Andres Freund