Re: JIT doing duplicative optimization?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: JIT doing duplicative optimization?
Дата
Re: JIT doing duplicative optimization?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Nov-11, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> But what really surprised me is that the the average time to optimize
> per function is now 2.06ms ... less than half of the previous
> measurement.  It emits 10% less functions than before, but the time to
> both optimize and emit is reduced by 50%.  How does that make sense?

Ah, here's a query that illustrates what I'm on about.  I found this
query[1] in a blog post[2].

```
WITH RECURSIVE typeinfo_tree(
    oid, ns, name, kind, basetype, elemtype, elemdelim,
    range_subtype, attrtypoids, attrnames, depth)
AS (
    SELECT
        ti.oid, ti.ns, ti.name, ti.kind, ti.basetype,
        ti.elemtype, ti.elemdelim, ti.range_subtype,
        ti.attrtypoids, ti.attrnames, 0
    FROM
        (
        SELECT
            t.oid                           AS oid,
            ns.nspname                      AS ns,
            t.typname                       AS name,
            t.typtype                       AS kind,
            (CASE WHEN t.typtype = 'd' THEN
                (WITH RECURSIVE typebases(oid, depth) AS (
                    SELECT
                        t2.typbasetype      AS oid,
                        0                   AS depth
                    FROM
                        pg_type t2
                    WHERE
                        t2.oid = t.oid
                    UNION ALL
                    SELECT
                        t2.typbasetype      AS oid,
                        tb.depth + 1        AS depth
                    FROM
                        pg_type t2,
                        typebases tb
                    WHERE
                       tb.oid = t2.oid
                       AND t2.typbasetype != 0
               ) SELECT oid FROM typebases ORDER BY depth DESC LIMIT 1)
               ELSE NULL
            END)                            AS basetype,
            t.typelem                       AS elemtype,
            elem_t.typdelim                 AS elemdelim,
            range_t.rngsubtype              AS range_subtype,
            (CASE WHEN t.typtype = 'c' THEN
                (SELECT
                    array_agg(ia.atttypid ORDER BY ia.attnum)
                FROM
                    pg_attribute ia
                    INNER JOIN pg_class c
                        ON (ia.attrelid = c.oid)
                WHERE
                    ia.attnum > 0 AND NOT ia.attisdropped
                    AND c.reltype = t.oid)
                ELSE NULL
            END)                            AS attrtypoids,
            (CASE WHEN t.typtype = 'c' THEN
                (SELECT
                    array_agg(ia.attname::text ORDER BY ia.attnum)
                FROM
                    pg_attribute ia
                    INNER JOIN pg_class c
                        ON (ia.attrelid = c.oid)
                WHERE
                    ia.attnum > 0 AND NOT ia.attisdropped
                    AND c.reltype = t.oid)
                ELSE NULL
            END)                            AS attrnames
        FROM
            pg_catalog.pg_type AS t
            INNER JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace ns ON (
                ns.oid = t.typnamespace)
            LEFT JOIN pg_type elem_t ON (
                t.typlen = -1 AND
                t.typelem != 0 AND
                t.typelem = elem_t.oid
            )
            LEFT JOIN pg_range range_t ON (
                t.oid = range_t.rngtypid
            )
    ) AS ti
    WHERE
        ti.oid = any(ARRAY[16,17]::oid[])

    UNION ALL

    SELECT
        ti.oid, ti.ns, ti.name, ti.kind, ti.basetype,
        ti.elemtype, ti.elemdelim, ti.range_subtype,
        ti.attrtypoids, ti.attrnames, tt.depth + 1
    FROM
        (
[...]
        typeinfo_tree tt
    WHERE
        (tt.elemtype IS NOT NULL AND ti.oid = tt.elemtype)
        OR (tt.attrtypoids IS NOT NULL AND ti.oid = any(tt.attrtypoids))
        OR (tt.range_subtype IS NOT NULL AND ti.oid = tt.range_subtype)
)
SELECT DISTINCT
    *,
    basetype::regtype::text AS basetype_name,
    elemtype::regtype::text AS elemtype_name,
    range_subtype::regtype::text AS range_subtype_name
FROM
    typeinfo_tree
ORDER BY
    depth DESC;
```

I did an EXPLAIN ANALYZE and at the bottom you see this:

 Planning Time: 2.606 ms
 JIT:
   Functions: 148
   Timing: Generation 19.670 ms, Inlining 19.224 ms, Optimization 435.153 ms, Emission 282.216 ms, Total 756.263 ms
 Execution Time: 757.643 ms

Average time to optimize, per function 435.153/148 = 2.940ms;
average time to emit per function 282.216/148 = 1.906ms

Now let's change the query by making the first innermost recursive CTE into
non-recursive; just delete the RECURSIVE keyword and everything after the UNION
ALL.  You now get this query.

```
explain analyze
WITH RECURSIVE typeinfo_tree(
    oid, ns, name, kind, basetype, elemtype, elemdelim,
    range_subtype, attrtypoids, attrnames, depth)
AS (
    SELECT
        ti.oid, ti.ns, ti.name, ti.kind, ti.basetype,
        ti.elemtype, ti.elemdelim, ti.range_subtype,
        ti.attrtypoids, ti.attrnames, 0
    FROM
        (
        SELECT
            t.oid                           AS oid,
            ns.nspname                      AS ns,
            t.typname                       AS name,
            t.typtype                       AS kind,
            (CASE WHEN t.typtype = 'd' THEN
                (WITH typebases(oid, depth) AS (
                    SELECT
                        t2.typbasetype      AS oid,
                        0                   AS depth
                    FROM
                        pg_type t2
                    WHERE
                        t2.oid = t.oid
[...]

At the bottom of the explain you get this.

 Planning Time: 2.508 ms
 JIT:
   Functions: 137
   Timing: Generation 10.346 ms, Inlining 10.210 ms, Optimization 374.103 ms, Emission 254.557 ms, Total 649.216 ms
 Execution Time: 650.168 ms

Average time to optimize, per function: 374.103/137 = 2.730ms
Average time to emit, per function 254.557 / 137 = 1.858ms

Now do it one more time, with the second innermost recursive CTE.  You get this
query.

```
explain analyze
[...]

And the JIT numbers at the bottom look like this:

 Planning Time: 2.041 ms
 JIT:
   Functions: 126
   Timing: Generation 10.002 ms, Inlining 0.000 ms, Optimization 229.128 ms, Emission 167.338 ms, Total 406.469 ms
 Execution Time: 407.315 ms

Average time to optimize per function 229.128 / 126 = 1.181ms
Average time to emit per function 167.338 / 126 = 1.328ms

In summary,

Query 1, 148 functions JIT-compiled.
Average time to optimize, per function 435.153/148 = 2.940ms;
average time to emit per function 282.216/148 = 1.906ms

Query 2, 137 functions JIT-compiled.
Average time to optimize, per function: 374.103/137 = 2.730ms
Average time to emit, per function 254.557 / 137 = 1.858ms

Query 3, 126 functions JIT-compiled.
Average time to optimize per function 229.128 / 126 = 1.181ms
Average time to emit per function 167.338 / 126 = 1.328ms

????  Something looks very wrong here.

[1] https://gist.github.com/saicitus/251ba20b211e9e73285af35e61b19580
[2]
https://dev.to/xenatisch/cascade-of-doom-jit-and-how-a-postgres-update-led-to-70-failure-on-a-critical-national-service-3f2a

"Java is clearly an example of money oriented programming"  (A. Stepanov)