Re: Frontend error logging style

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Frontend error logging style
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Wed, 10 Nov 2021 14:25:08 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in
> I wrote:
> > Hmm, interesting.  Taking up my point #2, I'd been thinking about
> > proposing that we convert
> >         pg_log_error("query failed: %s", PQerrorMessage(conn));
> >         pg_log_error("query was: %s", todo);
> >         pg_log_error("query failed: %s", PQerrorMessage(conn));
> >         pg_log_error_detail("Query was: %s", todo);
>
> After looking around a bit, I see that a lot of these add-on messages
> are more nearly hints than details, so we'd probably better support
> both those cases right off the bat.

Sounds reasonable.

> To move things along a bit, here's a draft patch to logging.h/.c only
> to implement what I'm envisioning.  I don't think there's much point
> in doing the per-call-site gruntwork until we have agreement on what
> the API is, so this seems like enough for discussion.
>
> (As a fervent hater of colorization, I don't have an opinion about
> whether or how to colorize the "detail:" and "hint:" fragments.
> But I'll happily take somebody else's adjustment to add that.)

(:) I don't hate colorization so much, but I'm frequently annoyed by
needing to turn off colorization and I disgust when there's no easy
way to disable that in a simple steps..)

Aren't DETAIL and HINT expected to be hidden at the targetted cutoff
level?  In other words, I suspect that people want to hide non-primary
messages for a lower verbosity level.  On the other hand I'm not sure
it is a proper behavior that log_level = WARNING causes ERROR messages
are accompanied by DETAIL/HINT submessages...

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center