Alter and move corresponding: was The tragedy of SQL

От Steve Litt
Тема Alter and move corresponding: was The tragedy of SQL
Дата
Re: Alter and move corresponding: was The tragedy of SQL  (Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>)
Re: Alter and move corresponding: was The tragedy of SQL  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
Список pgsql-general
Gavin Flower said on Wed, 15 Sep 2021 13:49:39 +1200

>Hi Michael,

[snip]

>> COBOL has strange verbs like 'move corresponding' that could
>> accomplish complicated tasks in a few lines but you have to be
>> careful that you knew what you were asking for!
>
>In our site that was banned as being too dangerous.
>
>And how about the 'lovely' ALTER GOTO construct???
>
>Children don't try to use these constructs at home, as even
>experienced adults get burnt using them!

I never Cobolled professionally, but took 3 semesters of Cobol and
Santa Monica Community College in Santa Monica, California USA. They
taught us move corresponding, I used it, it was handy. I'd use it again
if I were a Cobol professional.

As far as alter, in 1981, before I became a programmer, I asked my
Cobol Programmer friend if there was anything you could put in a
program that would get you fired. He said yes, the alter statement :-).
In my 3 semesters of Cobol, I never once used the Alter statement.

SteveT

Steve Litt