Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Tue, 24 Aug 2021 00:03:37 +0000, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn@amazon.com> wrote in
> On 8/23/21, 10:49 AM, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 11:50 AM Bossart, Nathan <bossartn@amazon.com> wrote:
> >> To handle a "cheating" archive command, I'd probably need to add a
> >> stat() for every time pgarch_readyXLog() returned something from
> >> arch_files.  I suspect something similar might be needed in Dipesh's
> >> patch to handle backup history files and partial WAL files.
> >
> > I think he's effectively got that already, although it's probably
> > inside of pgarch_readyXLog(). The idea there is that instead of having
> > a cache of files to be returned (as in your case) he just checks
> > whether the next file in sequence happens to be present and if so
> > returns that file name. To see whether it's present, he uses stat().
>
> IIUC partial WAL files are handled because the next file in the
> sequence with the given TimeLineID won't be there, so we will fall
> back to a directory scan and pick it up.  Timeline history files are
> handled by forcing a directory scan, which should work because they
> always have the highest priority.  Backup history files, however, do
> not seem to be handled.  I think one approach to fixing that is to
> also treat backup history files similarly to timeline history files.
> If one is created, we force a directory scan, and the directory scan
> logic will consider backup history files as higher priority than
> everything but timeline history files.

Backup history files are (currently) just informational and they are
finally processed at the end of a bulk-archiving performed by the fast
path.  However, I feel that it is cleaner to trigger a directory scan
every time we add an other-than-a-regular-WAL-file, as base-backup or
promotion are not supposed happen so infrequently.

> I've been looking at the v9 patch with fresh eyes, and I still think
> we should be able to force the directory scan as needed in
> XLogArchiveNotify().  Unless the file to archive is a regular WAL file
> that is > our stored location in archiver memory, we should force a
> directory scan.  I think it needs to be > instead of >= because we
> don't know if the archiver has just completed a directory scan and
> found a later segment to use to update the archiver state (but hasn't
> yet updated the state in shared memory).

I'm afraid that it can be seen as a violation of modularity. I feel
that wal-emitter side should not be aware of that datail of
archiving. Instead, I would prefer to keep directory scan as far as it
found an smaller segment id than the next-expected segment id ever
archived by the fast-path (if possible).  This would be
less-performant in the case out-of-order segments are frequent but I
think the overall objective of the original patch will be kept.

> Also, I think we need to make sure to set PgArch->dirScan back to true
> at the end of pgarch_readyXlog() unless we've found a new regular WAL
> file that we can use to reset the archiver's stored location.  This
> ensures that we'll keep doing directory scans as long as there are
> timeline/backup history files to process.

Right.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi