Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 09:01:40PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 06:04:56PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > > The postgres_fdw supports these type of scans if async_capable is set.
> > this type
> > remove "The" ?
>
> New text is:
>
>     <link
>     linkend="postgres-fdw"><application>postgres_fdw</application></link>
>     supports these type of scans if <literal>async_capable</literal>
>
> I kept "these types" because the paragraph above says:
>
>     Allow a query referencing multiple <link
>     linkend="sql-createforeigntable">foreign tables</link> to perform
>     foreign table scans in parallel (Robert Haas, Kyotaro Horiguchi,
>     Thomas Munro, Etsuro Fujita)
>
> so we are talking about scans in parallel, so I think it is plural.  Wrong?

I think the "type" of scan being referenced is a "parallel" type, right ?
So there's only one type, but multiple scans.
So I think it should say "this type" of scan, but it seems like it's not only
easier but generally better to say

| postgres_fdw supports parallel scans if async_capable

>> Prevent the containment operators (<@ and @>) for intarray from using GiST indexes (Tom Lane)
>> Remove deprecated containment operators @ and ~ for built-in geometric data types and contrib modules cube, hstore,
intarray,and seg (Justin Pryzby)

>> For example, disregard ^ in its expansion in \1 in (^\d+).*\1.
>> Add point operators <<| and |>> to be strictly above/below geometry (Emre Hasegeli)
>> Previously >^ and <^ were marked as performing this test, but non-point geometric operators used these operators for
non-strictcomparisons, leading to confusion. The old operators still exist but will be eventually removed.

I mean markup for the operators, like <literal><@</literal>

> > > Add primary keys, unique constraints, and foreign keys to system catalogs (Peter Eisentraut)
>
> > Should mention and link to pg_get_catalog_foreign_keys()
>
> Uh, why?  I don't see the release notes as a place to explain how to use
> Postgres features.

Because the normal way to show foreign keys (\d) doesn't show them - the
references are shown by the function.

Thanks,
--
Justin