Re: Duplicate history file?

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Duplicate history file?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thanks for the opinions.

At Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:33:10 -0400, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote in
> Greetings,
>
> * Kyotaro Horiguchi (horikyota.ntt@gmail.com) wrote:
> > >
> > > Disagreed.  I think that we should not try to change this area until
> > > we can document a reliable solution, and a simple "cp" is not that.
> >
> > Isn't removing cp from the documentation a change in this area? I
> > basically agree to not to change anything but the current example
> > "test ! -f <fn> && cp .." and relevant description has been known to
> > be problematic in a certain situation.
>
> [...]
>
> > - Write the full (known) requirements and use a pseudo tool-name in
> >  the example?
>
> I'm generally in favor of just using a pseudo tool-name and then perhaps
> providing a link to a new place on .Org where people can ask to have
> their PG backup solution listed, or something along those lines.

Looks fine.

> >  - provide a minimal implement of the command?
>
> Having been down this road for a rather long time, I can't accept this
> as a serious suggestion.  No, not even with Perl.  Been there, done
> that, not going back.
>
> >  - recommend some external tools (that we can guarantee that they
> >    comform the requriements)?
>
> The requirements are things which are learned over years and changes
> over time.  Trying to document them and keep up with them would be a
> pretty serious project all on its own.  There are external projects who
> spend serious time and energy doing their best to provide the tooling
> needed here and we should be promoting those, not trying to pretend like
> this is a simple thing which anyone could write a short perl script to
> accomplish.

I agree that no simple solution could be really perfect.  The reason I
think that a simple cp can be a candidate of the example might be
based on the assumption that anyone who is going to build a database
system ought to know their requirements including the
durability/reliability of archives/backups and the limitaions of
adopted methods/technologies.  However, as Julien mentioned, if
there's actually a problem that relatively.. ahem, ill-advised users
(sorry in advance if it's rude) uses the 'cp' only for the reason that
it is shown in the example without a thought and inadvertently loses
archives, it might be better that we don't suggest a concrete command
for archive_command.

> >  - not recommend any tools?
>
> This is the approach that has been tried and it's, objectively, failed
> miserably.  Our users are ending up with invalid and unusable backups,
> corrupted WAL segments, inability to use PITR, and various other issues
> because we've been trying to pretend that this isn't a hard problem.  We
> really need to stop that and accept that it's hard and promote the tools
> which have been explicitly written to address that hard problem.

I can sympathize that but is there any difference with system backups?
One can just copy $HOME to another directory in the same drive then
call it a day. Another uses dd to make a image backup. Others need
durability or guarantee for integrity or even encryption so acquire or
purchase a tool that conforms their requirements.  Or someone creates
their own backup solution that meets their requirements.

On the other hand, what OS distributors offer a long list for
requirements or a recipe for perfect backups? (Yeah, I'm saying this
based on nothing, just from a prejudice.)

If the system is serious, who don't know enough about backup ought to
consult professionals before building an inadequate backup system and
lose their data.

> > > Hmm.  A simple command that could be used as reference is for example
> > > "dd" that flushes the file by itself, or we could just revisit the
> > > discussions about having a pg_copy command, or we could document a
> > > small utility in perl that does the job.
> >
> > I think we should do that if pg_copy comforms the mandatory
> > requirements but maybe it's in the future. Showing the minimal
> > implement in perl looks good.
>
> Already tried doing it in perl.  No, it's not simple and it's also
> entirely vaporware today and implies that we're going to develop this
> tool, improve it in the future as we realize it needs to be improved,
> and maintain it as part of core forever.  If we want to actually adopt
> and pull in a backup tool to be part of core then we should talk about
> things which actually exist, such as the various existing projects that
> have been written to specifically work to address all the requirements
> which are understood today, not say "well, we can just write a simple
> perl script to do it" because it's not actually that simple.
>
> Providing yet another half solution would be doubling-down on the failed
> approach to document a "simple" solution and would be a disservice to
> our users.

Ok, if we follow the direction that we are responsible for ensuring
that every user has reliable backups, I don't come up with proper
description about that.

We could list several "requirement" like "do sync after copy", "take a
checksum for all files then check it periodically" or other things but
what is more important things to list here, I think, is "how we run
the archive_command".

Doesn't the following work for now?

(No example)

- "%f is replace by ... %p is .., %r is ... in archive_command"

- We call the archive_command for every wal segment which is finished.

- We may call the archive_command for the same file more than once.

- We may call the archive_command for different files with the same
  name. In this case server is working incorrectly and need a
  check. Don't overwrite with the new content.

- We don't offer any durability or integrity on the archived
  files. All of them is up to you.  You can use some existing
  solutions for archiving. See the following links.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center