Re: A new function to wait for the backend exit after termination

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: A new function to wait for the backend exit after termination
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 07:34:59PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> Thanks. +1 to remove the pg_wait_for_backend_termination function. The
> patch basically looks good to me. I'm attaching an updated patch. I
> corrected a minor typo in the commit message, took docs and code
> comment changes suggested by Justin Pryzby.

Pushed as two commits.  I used your log message typo fix.  Here were the diffs
in your v2 and not in an earlier patch:

> -+       Add an optional wait parameter to <link
> ++       Add an optional timeout parameter to <link

I used this.

> -+    int            timeout; /* milliseconds */
> ++    int            timeout;  /* milliseconds */

pgindent chooses a third option, so I ran pgindent instead of using this.

> Please note that release notes still have the headline "Add functions
> to wait for backend termination" of the original commit that added the
> pg_wait_for_backend_termination. With the removal of it, I'm not quite
> sure if we retain the the commit message or tweak it to something like
> "Add optional timeout parameter to pg_terminate_backend".
> <!--
> Author: Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
> 2021-04-08 [aaf043257] Add functions to wait for backend termination
> -->

That part is supposed to mirror "git log --pretty=format:%s", no matter what
happens later.  The next set of release note updates might add my latest
commit (5f1df62) to this SGML comment, on another line.