Re: array_cat anycompatible change is breaking xversion upgrade tests (v14 release notes)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: array_cat anycompatible change is breaking xversion upgrade tests (v14 release notes)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 08:19:48PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 09:12:55PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > OK, I used some of your ideas and tried for something more general;
> > patch attached.
>
> This is good.
>
> But I wonder if "dropped before upgrading" is too specific to pg_upgrade?
>
> Dropping the aggregate before starting a backup to be restored into a new
> version seems like a bad way to do it.  More likely, I would restore whatever
> backup I had, get errors, and then eventually recreate the aggregates.

I am actually unclear on that.  Do people really restore a dump and just
ignore errors, or somehow track them and go back and try to fix them.
Isn't there a cascading effect if other things depend on it?  How do
they get the object definitions from a huge dump file?  What process
should we recommend?  I have just never seen good documentation on how
this handled.