Re: storing an explicit nonce

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: storing an explicit nonce
Дата
Re: storing an explicit nonce  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 01:56:38PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> However, I believe that if we store the nonce in the page explicitly,
> as proposed here, rather trying to derive it from the LSN, then we
> don't need to worry about this kind of masking, which I think is
> better from both a security perspective and a performance perspective.

You are saying that by using a non-LSN nonce, you can write out the page
with a new nonce, but the same LSN, and also discard the page during
crash recovery and use the WAL copy?

I am confused why checksums, which are widely used, acceptably require
wal_log_hints, but there is concern that file encryption, which is
heavier, cannot acceptably require wal_log_hints.  I must be missing
something.

Why can't checksums also throw away hint bit changes like you want to do
for file encryption and not require wal_log_hints?