Re: storing an explicit nonce

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: storing an explicit nonce
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-05-25 17:22:43 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Err, to be clear, I was saying that we could exclude the hint bits
> *entirely* from what's being encrypted and I don't think that would be a
> huge issue.

It's a *huge* issue. For one, the computational effort of doing so would
be a problem. But there's a more fundamental issue: We don't even know
the type of the page at the time we write data out! We can't do a lookup
of pg_class in the checkpointer to see whether the page is a heap page
where we need to mask out hint bits.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: storing an explicit nonce
Сообщение: Re: storing an explicit nonce