Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2021-01-17 11:23:37 +0100, Thiemo Kellner wrote:
> > Also, could it be possible to make messages plain text? I see a lot of
> > varying fancy fonts and I hate that. I even hate it more when people
> > post messages not properly trimmed or messages that need formatting
> > preserved such as select output, i.e. table data, explain plans, etc.
>
> Well, one could say that with html messages one can "force" a monospaced
> font like consolas or courier. Then again, there is no guarantee that the
> receiving end does have it installed.

"font-family: monospace" should always work. A MUA sending HTML mail can
(and should) therefore specify e.g. "font-family: Consolas, monospace",
not just "font-family: Consolas" to provide for a fallback.

(Do Webfonts work in Email? Do we even *want* them to work?)

> And on top, everyone is free to have her/his mail client to display
> plain text in monospaced font and is only to blame her/himself if not
> doing so.

Yeah. Unfortunately many people don't know how to configure that (or use
a MUA where it can't be configured). So unfortunatly we can't assume
that plain text == monospaced. As someone who likes to underscore stuff
in quotes and draw ASCII (or Unicode) diagrams, I find that annoying,
but I can't change it.

> > I think, an automatic conversion of incoming posts to plain text and
> > dropping all non plain text attachments would help a lot already.
>
> I would not do that. It is the work on the wrong end with doubtful result.
> Wouldn't it be better to reject non-plain-text postings?

ACK.

> While at it, is there a rule of thumb for the length of inline code - in
> comparison to attaching code files in comparison to using something like
> pastebin.com? I only found very coarse instructions on what to do on the
> lists. Have I been missing a link to a netiquette page?

I don't think there is. My rule od thumb is that it should be short
enough to read as part of the message. Of course this is very subjective
and may even depend on my mood (Sometimes I find a 20 line SQL query too
long, sometimes I'm happy to dig through 200 lines of Perl code ...). It
also depends very much on coding style: If code is badly formatted or
organized, I'll give up much sooner.

        hp

Вложения