v10 release notes for extended stats

От Justin Pryzby
Тема v10 release notes for extended stats
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2017-03-24 [7b504eb28] Implement multivariate n-distinct coefficients
2017-04-05 [2686ee1b7] Collect and use multi-column dependency stats
2017-05-12 [bc085205c] Change CREATE STATISTICS syntax

The existing notes say:
|Add multi-column optimizer statistics to compute the correlation ratio and number of distinct values (Tomas Vondra,
DavidRowley, Álvaro Herrera)

|New commands are CREATE STATISTICS, ALTER STATISTICS, and DROP STATISTICS.
|This feature is helpful in estimating query memory usage and when combining the statistics from individual columns.

"correlation ratio" is referring to stxkind=d (dependencies), right ?  That's
very unclear.

"helpful in estimating query memory usage": I guess it means that this allows
the planner to correctly account for large vs small number of GROUP BY values,
but it sounds more like it's going to help a user to estimate memory use.

"when combining the statistics from individual columns." this is referring to
stxkind=d, handling correlated/redundant clauses, but it'd be hard for a user
to know that.

Also, maybe it should say "combining stats from columns OF THE SAME TABLE".

So I propose: