Re: Proposed patch for key managment

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Proposed patch for key managment
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 11:16:18PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > 1. Previously, we added a variable bootstrap_keys_wrap that is used for
> > encryption during initdb. However, since we save the "wrapped" key, we need to
> > use a global KEK that can be accessed in boot mode to unwrap it before use... I
> > don't know if that's good. To make it simple, I modified the
> > bootstrap_keys_wrap to store the "unwrapped" key so that the encryption
> > function can get it correctly. (The variable name should be changed
> > accordingly).
>
> I see what you are saying.  We store the wrapped in bootstrap mode, but
> the unwrapped in normal mode.  There is also the case of when we copy
> the keys from an old cluster.  I will work on a patch tomorrow and
> report back here.

I had not considered that we need the date keys available in bootstrap
mode, even if we copied them from another cluster during pg_upgrade.  I
have updated the diff URLs and attaching a patch showing the changes I
made. Basically, I had to separate BootStrapKmgr() into sections:

1.  copy or create an empty live key directory
2.  get the pass phrase
3.  populate the live key directory if we didn't copy it
4.  decrypt they keys into a file-scoped variable

Thanks for showing me this missing feature.

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: On login trigger: take three
Сообщение: Re: On login trigger: take three